Wednesday 9 April 2014

Damn Bloody Cleaners

I am a university student. As I have no house of my own here in this country, I'm staying on one of the university's halls of residence. I've been staying on this particular one for the past two years and I absolutely hate it. HATE IT. I don't think there are adequate words to describe the degree of my disgust for this place. I'm in my final semester and I can't wait to get the hell out.

This place is disgusting. It is literally despicable. On the block that I'm staying in, there is only one stove for over 40 people to use. For the entire semester, only one of the burners on that stove was in existence. As in the other three were ripped out, leaving three gaping holes in the stove top. I wish I had taken a picture of it. Only this weekend they decided to replace the entire deplorable eyesore with a new one. Let's see how long this one lasts. The animals who reside here will no doubt destroy it within the month. I don't even want to get started about the single microwave, the fridges that constantly leak floor lakes, and the absence of any real counter space. I would call the health inspectors if my fees weren't all paid.

Anyway, this post wasn't for bitching about the lovely amenities this ghetto hall provides. There'll be another post for that.

This morning I was getting ready for class. All bathrooms are shared in this dump like everything else (including student rooms which is just the worst). It's as if the hall administration has a vendetta against privacy. Anyway, here the toilets are in a room separate from the shower stalls. And there are only 4 stalls of each for over 20 people. Every morning it's a battle to use an available one. One that is relatively clean that is. You can't imagine the horrors I've seen after those nasty bitches use the toilets. It's as if they were raised by beasts. What the fuck is so hard about flushing a toilet????!!!

Anyway, after I had done my business there, I went to shower. The second battle I have to face everyday is the one with the damn bloody cleaners. In the beginning they had a cleaning schedule which I had figured out. But now this semester, these damn bitches are trudging about the place, blocking up the bathrooms any time they feel. The toilets are normally cleaned after 10 am and the showers after 1 pm. But nooooo. Why follow an established schedule? Why allow the students to utilize the bloody facilities that they paid for at hours more convenient for them? Now these cleaners are all about the place at any ole hour of the day.

So this morning I was trying to shower peacefully. I was just about done when the main door opened up and the cleaner came in. She knew I was in there but she didn't care. She proceeded to start making as much noise as possible, banging on the shower stall walls while she scrubbed. If that wasn't bad enough, the cheap pungent smell of the cleaning fluid she was using was revolting. I was so pissed I left without glancing in her direction (I normally tell the waste-of-time pests 'good morning').



I probably sound like a spoilt, ungrateful bitch. But I know I'm not. No one can really understand unless they've been in my position. I grew up in a relatively comfortable home. A very clean one with my own room mostly and the ability to shut and lock the damn bathroom door and use the toilet and shower without having a smelly bitch dropping loads right next to you. It's so bloody unnerving and disgusting! So coming to this hall was like making a queen live with vagrants. I'm not saying that I'm a queen (although I am) but you catch my drift. It's beyond being a downgrade for a person who greatly values privacy and personal dignity. It's degrading.

So it's really those cleaners that pissed me off this morning. They always do but today stood out. If they stick to a convenient schedule it wouldn't be so bad. But these people here do whatever they want and have no real supervision. Complaining gets no results. When they've finished cleaning or whatever, these bitches hang out on the benches outside laughing and carrying on loud conversations as if they belong here and pay residence fees.

They make it so easy for you to dislike and disrespect people in their profession. I do value the work of cleaning staff, I do. But if you choose to do a job, do it damn well and properly! Clean fast then get the hell out and stop inconveniencing busy people. They should be seen and not heard. In fact, they shouldn't even be seen at all.

I'd rather have that robot cleaning bitch from the Jetsons any day. At least she can be properly trained ... or programmed or whatever.



No comments:

Post a Comment